Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Our Nap Time Solution

Lately it feels like all I write about is nursing and sleeping so I apologize in advance for another one of those posts, but we have made a lot of progress in the nap time department so I'm excited to share how that's been going!

A few weeks ago I started really focusing on the difficult task of getting Chloe to sleep on her own in the bed. Chloe has always been an amazing napper but only if she is sleeping on my lap, and as much as I love holding my sleeping baby and watching her peacefully dreaming it was starting to really drain on me. I felt like I had no time at all to myself, which is something I desperately needed.

It was important to me to take this process slow with Chloe, to ease her into taking naps alone, to go about this change in a gentle manner. Letting her cry it out just wasn't something we felt comfortable doing with her and so that was never an option for us. One afternoon during Chloe's nap time I decided to bring her into the bedroom to snuggle and hopefully get her to fall asleep. I noticed she wanted to nurse so I decided to try nursing her while the both of us were laying down on our sides. I have tried side-laying nursing quite a few times in the past and could never get the hang of it so I just gave up trying to do it. For some reason though that afternoon Chloe and I finally got it and after a few minutes of nursing my sweet Chloe was fast asleep. As soon as she unlatched I quietly got up from the bed and snuck out of the bedroom. Chloe slept for a couple hours that afternoon and woke up full of smiles and snuggles for me!

Since that afternoon a few weeks ago Chloe now takes two naps everyday in the bed all by herself. As soon as I notice her getting sleepy we head to the bedroom to cuddle and nurse, and every time Chloe falls asleep without any fuss. There are no tears shed, Chloe doesn't feel scared and alone, no  feelings of guilt on my part, and both her and I are getting exactly what we need, a nap for Chloe and time alone for Mama!

This is the first big obstical we have overcome with Chloe, and to be perfectly honest I'm really proud of myself. I'm proud that I followed Chloe's cues, that I made this process as gentle as possible, and that I didn't give up even though there were more times then I can even count that I wanted to.

It's incredibly reassuring to see the reward in the end - a happy baby!

8 comments:

  1. Ahhhh....I remember those blissful nursing moments so well.

    I'm happy Chloe is getting a good nap in....so that Mommy can have that coveted 'alone time'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how much confidence you get from the tiny little sleeping milestones. I think gently, gently is the loveliest approach and you will get there in the end! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kellie for the reassurance! I completely agree with you!

      Delete
  3. I love the side-lying breastfeeding position!

    I use this technique with Quade too. It is nice to have time to ourselves. As moms, it's important for us to get that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Melanie, its so important for us Moms to have some time alone! I wish I would have learned how to nurse in that position sooner! I'm so glad breastfeeding is going so well for you two!

      Delete
  4. oh nursing in bed is just the sweetest thing..we do it every morning. i'll be so sad when she doesn't want to anymore! glad you were able to problem-solve the nap issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Staci! and I completely agree nursing in bed is so sweet!

      Delete