Tuesday, August 30, 2011

On Losing A Friend

This morning while I was on my facebook page I decided to look through my messages and start deleting all the ones I didn't need anymore. I stumbled upon this message from a friend.

"been okay, saw Joe on News years he mentioned he was flying out to your wedding. Congrats on that, how did you end up having the wedding and where? I just got back to IL a few days ago, was out in AZ. Call me anytime, number is the same. Loved to hear from you. And are you still in Seattle, i have friends out there and would love to come and visit. Take care girl, and try to get some time to call! Hope all is well, Kerry."

This was in April 2010, in October she passed away. I never wrote her back or gave her a call. I had every intention to do so, but would get busy and then forget. Before she passed away I was hoping to get together with her in November when Mike and I flew back home to Chicago for Thanksgiving. I wanted to tell her that I was pregnant. I wanted to share stories with her, to laugh about old times, to finally see her face to face. But none of that ever got to happen. I wish I would have written her back, I wish I would have taken the time to call her before she passed.


When I was much younger Kerry was my best friend, we were inseparable. As time went on we grew apart, made different friends. Throughout the years we would drift back into each others life for short periods of time. It felt like nothing ever changed between us, like we had always been there for one another the whole time. Unfortunately when ever we got together I made a lot of poor decisions, and did a lot of things that I now regret as an adult. I think the last time I saw Kerry was 8 years ago, when I was 17.

When I moved out to Seattle I reconnected with her through myspace, we talked for a few hours on the phone once. Then we stopped talking again. Time passed and once again we reconnected but through facebook this time, we sent a few messages back and forth, lost touch, and in April of 2010 I sent her a message asking her how she was doing. That was the last time I heard from her. 

If I could go back in time I would have written her back, I would have called her. Though we were not close friends anymore she is still someone I cared about and so many of my memories of when I was younger had her in them.

I'm going to keep that message. It's a reminder that life is precious and fragile. That I should never be to busy to cherish the ones i love. It's a reminder to take time for one another.

I love you Kerry, I always will! Thank you for being my friend and for all the memories we share!

No comments:

Post a Comment