Friday, September 7, 2012

15 Things I'm Not Too Proud Of

Image Source


This post is in no way meant to be negative. I whole heartily understand that mistakes are an important part of life and help shape us into the person we are today and the person we'll be in the future. This post is simply me sharing freely about my life and struggles.

:: Sometimes I have very little patience.

:: I'm not as healthy as I'd like to be.

:: I often struggle with feelings of jealousy.

:: For as long as I can remember I have struggled with poor self esteem.

:: I'm not close with my brother and sister and take full responsibility for that.

:: During the ages of 15 through 19 I struggled with drugs.

:: I have always done poorly in school.

:: I can be pretty messy and disorganized at times.

:: I'm really stubborn, especially when it comes to admitting when I'm wrong to my husband.

:: I'm awful at writing thank you notes.

:: It's difficult for me to open up to people.

:: I used to be a smoker. This month will mark two years smoke free and I love that I can say I don't smoke anymore.

:: Finishing projects on time or even at all is a struggle for me.

:: I wish I was a more grateful person.

:: This is something that is still so difficult for me to admit though four years have passed since it last happened.  When I was 21 years old I went through a dark depression and turned to cutting myself for comfort. If you could see me in person you'd see that both my arms and legs are covered in long white scars. I still carry a lot of shame from this and rarely ever wear short sleeves or shorts even during the hot summer months.

12 comments:

  1. That is pretty powerful stuff you just shared. It is always so refreshing to hear an honest tone in a blog. I too have some skeletons in the closet that I am not always so open about but it feels good to know that you are not alone.
    Like the picture you sourced said you are better today.
    You are an awesome , smoke free, drug free, non cutting, mama that loves her daughter very much. Look at how much you have accomplished! You should be proud of yourself despite the rest of your imperfections because who really is perfect? NO ONE!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leslie! and your right no one is perfect, we all make mistakes and have imperfections. I am so, so grateful I was able to overcome some of these huge struggles and that I was blessed with the most wonderful husband and daughter!

      Delete
  2. Such an honest and brave post!! Thank you so much for sharing Jennifer, I don't know if I could do the same. Isn't it amazing to see what we've come through and how we have changed for the better?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kierrin for you sweet words, it's scary being honest about our past and struggles.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your honesty and sharing your feelings. I can relate to so many of these things and it's always comforting to know others share our own struggles. I am rarely brave enough to open up so much on the blog and you remind me that it can be therapeutic for not only myself but also my readers to be able to normalize their own feelings, as you do with your readers. But also what a good reminder of how far you have come and what a wonderful mother you are to a sweet little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet and encouraging words Margaux! I agree with you it can be so scary to be open and honest but so therapeutic at the same time!

      Delete
  4. I think everyone can relate to probably half of what you just wrote up there. I know I can and that makes me feel a little better. :) Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  5. thank you for this. brave honest and beautiful. you are not alone. i never mention it on my blog but 3 weeks after hars was birn i started smoking again. so proud of you for quitting. ps- would love for you to do a guest post about living in washington vs chicago if you wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy, I appreciate your kind and encouraging words! and thank you for opening up to me!

      I would love to do a guest post on your blog, I will send you a message on Twitter about it.

      Delete
  6. thank you for sharing <3 you are so not alone in so much of what you've struggled with. and i'm so proud of you for struggling to overcome. Chloe is lucky to have such an honest, caring, sensitive, LOVELY mama! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay, your sweet words mean so much to me! I am so grateful I was able to overcome some of these huge struggles and that I was blessed with the most wonderful family!

      Delete